What happens next

When we receive your notice of appeal, we’ll check it to make sure it includes the required information then send a copy of it to the Ministry of Social Development.

Before the hearing

The Ministry of Social Development will prepare a report about your matter. They’ll send you a copy of their report before the hearing begins. You can respond to their report.  

We’ll send you a notice of hearing at least 15 days before your hearing begins.

The hearing

If both parties agree, the hearing can be ‘on the papers’.  This means the Authority will make a decision based on the written submissions of the parties and you and the other party don’t need to attend a formal hearing.

If you do have to attend a formal hearing, we’ll tell you the date and time.

The Ministry of Social Development will pay travelling and accommodation expenses if you need to attend a hearing.  When you receive your notice of hearing contact your local Ministry of Social Development office to discuss.

The hearing isn’t open to the public.

The decision

The Authority will send you and the other party a written copy of its decision.

Appealing the Authority’s decision

You can appeal the Authority’s decision to the High Court but only on a question of law - that is, if you think the Authority got the law wrong when it made its decision. You should seek legal advice before appealing to the High Court.

Notes on appeals to the High Court [PDF, 173 KB]

This page was last updated: