If you're in immediate danger, dial 111 and ask for the police.

Quick exit - go to the Stuff.co.nz website(external link)

Find out how to cover your tracks online(external link)

Family violence (often referred to as domestic violence) can be carried out by anyone you are in a domestic or close relationship with. It could be a partner, ex-partner, carer, friend, flatmate or family member. They don't have to be living with you. 

If you’re at risk of family violence, you can get police and court orders to help protect you while you get the help you need.

If you're not in a domestic relationship with someone, you can instead apply for a Restraining Order

  • Legal protection you can get

    People at risk from family violence can get a Police Safety Order from the police or a Protection Order from the court.

  • Conditions of a Protection Order

    A Protection Order has two main conditions: no violence and no contact with the people protected by the Order. A Protection Order can be in place even if you are living with the person that the order is against.

  • Apply for a Protection Order

    You can apply for a Protection Order if you're in, or have been in, a domestic relationship with a person being violent.

  • Respond to a Protection Order

    If you’ve been served with a temporary Protection Order it means the court decided it was urgently needed to protect the person who applied.

  • Safety help & non-violence courses

    Free help for people who have experienced family violence, and non-violence courses for people who are named in a Protection Order, are available around the country.

  • Protection Order forms

    Forms to apply for or respond to a Protection Order.

  • Protection Orders are changing on 1 July

    From 1 July 2019, all Protection Orders – including ones granted before then – will have extra standard conditions.

This page was last updated: